Friday, October 28, 2016

2 Corinthians 12 Division in your church?

 11I have become foolish; you yourselves compelled me. Actually I should have been commended by you, for in no respect was I inferior to the most eminent apostles, even though I am a nobody. 12The signs of a true apostle were performed among you with all perseverance, by signs and wonders and miracles. 13For in what respect were you treated as inferior to the rest of the churches, except that I myself did not become a burden to you? Forgive me this wrong!

Paul speaks the truth with sarcasm, about being foolish, you compelled me! He states he should have been commended even though he is nobody! The other apostles were leading them astray and creating division among Paul and his church.
God had blessed Paul with signs and wonders. But remember Jesus performed signs and wonders also and His hometown didn't believe Him either!

Barnes Notes on the Bible
For what is it ... - This verse contains a striking mixture of sarcasm and irony, not exceeded, says Bloomfield, by any example in Demosthenes. the sense is," I have given among you the most ample proof of my apostolic commission. I have conferred on you the highest favors of the apostolic office. In these respects you are superior to all other churches. In one respect only are you inferior - it is in this, that you have not been burdened with the privilege of supporting me. If you had had this, you would have been inferior to no others. But this was owing to me; and I pray that you will forgive me this I might have urged it; I might have claimed it; I might have given you the privilege of becoming equal to the most favored in all respects. But I have not pressed it, and you have not done it, and I ask your pardon." There is a delicate insinuation that they had not contributed to his needs......
an intimation that it was a privilege to contribute to the support of the gospel, and that Paul might have been "burdensome to them".
http://biblehub.com/commentaries/2_corinthians/12-13.htm

Have you ever been led to start a ministry or church only to have someone start division among them?
How did or would you react? Remember all ministries are Gods! Be humble. Pray for the Holy Spirit to guide you! He will guide you as he guided Paul.

Stay tuned, tomorrow Paul explains the more he loves them the less they love him!
Blessings David

No comments:

Post a Comment