Sunday, October 23, 2016

2 Corinthians 11 Are you wise?

16Again I say, let no one think me foolish; but if you do, receive me even as foolish, so that I also may boast a little. 17What I am saying, I am not saying as the Lord would, but as in foolishness, in this confidence of boasting. 18Since many boast according to the flesh, I will boast also. 19For you, being so wise, tolerate the foolish gladly.20For you tolerate it if anyone enslaves you, anyone devours you, anyone takes advantage of you, anyone exalts himself, anyone hits you in the face. 21To my shame I must say that we have been weak by comparison.

The Corinthians thought themselves to be wise and would delight in listening to fools. So Paul played the part but then warns them he is no fool. He boasts of his accomplishments in the church but not as Christ would, but explains his work is under Christ's authority.
Human pride boasts in worldly personal accomplishments, many brag in this fashion so Paul will brag too. Then Paul hits them with biting sarcasm in verse 19. Was he too hard on them? Apparently not because in verse 20 they allowed visiting missionaries to walk all over them. And in verse 21 Paul hits them with sarcasm again.

Lesson for today? Read and understand your bible. Don't be lofty, don't be wise, don't take enjoyment in someone who is unwise, but most of all, don't be led astray.

In our next study we will see what Paul endured while preaching salvation through Jesus Christ.
Stay tuned!

Blessings, David 
Scripture blog; http://stanfordsancutaryscripturestudies.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment