Saturday, September 9, 2017

It's Time. Genesis 2:1-4 NLT

Another perspective on Genesis 2:1-4 NLT

In March of 2012 our son Jesus turned 16. It was like someone had flipped a switch. He decided he no longer had to answer to anyone. He refused to get up in the morning and go to school. He left the house when he pleased and didn't respect curfew. 

He had more absences at school then days attended and I could not get the school to hold him accountable. When he did go, he was in trouble. Mostly "hanging out" and not attending class. We made the decision to withdraw him from school and and told him if he wanted an education to get his G.E.D. 

In May it seemed like someone had flipped a switch in me. I was no longer blind to his lies and manipulation, no longer swayed by his charm. By September I was exhausted. I needed rest. I was emotionally and physically drained. 

One morning on my walk as I prayed, I told God I could no longer do this, this task of raising this child He had given us. I begged Him to do something, to change the situation. I remember saying "I don't know what can change or what you will do Lord but I cannot go on like this. Show me what to do. Something has to give". 

Two weeks later we grounded Jesus for breaking curfew among other offences committed the night before. He already had court pending for two citations issued for runaway when he broke curfew. I chained his bike up and told him he would spend the next 24 hours home. 

That afternoon, I had Jesus arrested for destruction of property. When I discovered the destruction and stood there in dismay God whispered to me "It's time". What Lord? Was that you? I heard it again,  "It's time". 

You see,  a few months earlier I had told Jesus the next time he destroyed property, threatened David or I, or hurt the dog I would have him arrested and he would not be allowed to return. 

"It's time".

It wasn't until a few weeks later, on my morning walk, when I hit the same spot on my route that I remembered my prayer and realized God had answered it. I hadn't imagined this outcome, I hadn't suggested it or even considered it as an alternative but God knew. He knew I had reached my limit and it was time for someone else to take over. He knew I had done my job, planted the seed, tried my best and given Jesus all the tools I had available and it was someone elses turn to try.

"It's time"

He gave me rest. 

Genesis 2:1-4 NLT 

1 So the creation of the heavens and the earth and everything in them was completed.  2 On the seventh day God had finished his work of creation, so he rested from all his work.  3 And God blessed the seventh day and declared it holy, because it was the day when He rested from all His work of creation. 

4 This is the account of the creation of the heavens and the earth. 


Blessings, Cecilia 

No comments:

Post a Comment