Monday, September 18, 2017

Coverings. Genesis 3:10-11 NLT

I've never been a fashionista. A pair of jeans and a t-shirt suit me just fine. I've never been interested in designer labels or paid hundreds of dollars for a purse. A good day shopping is a clearance rack with clothes my size.

Why did Adam and Eve see their nakedness as a sin and try to cover it up? That question has always plagued me. Why is it a sin to be naked? Now, don't get me wrong, I am glad we wear clothing, I certainly do NOT want to walk around naked. But why? Why in a perfect garden with a perfect temperature and just the two of them were they suddenly self conscious of their lack of attire?

Maybe when they ate the fruit and their eyes were opened the perfect temperature dropped and they suddenly felt cold. One thought is that Adam and Eve were clothed in light and suddenly the light went out and they felt exposed.

Whatever the reason for suddenly needing to cover their body, the same can be applied to our sin. It leaves us feeling cold. It leaves us feeling exposed. We feel the need it cover it up. It separates us from God.

Without shedding of blood there is no remission. ( Hebrews 9:22)

God performed the first blood sacrifice. Adam and Eve's sin of disobedience was forgiven but it was a temporary fix to a much larger problem. Disobedience and separation from God. It would be years and many generations until the price of their sin and ours was paid in full. Not until the blood sacrifice of Jesus on the cross would the separation from God finally be bridged.

Adam and Eve were covered with clothing made by the sacrifice of life. We are given eternal life by the  sacrifice of Jesus Christ that covers us in righteousness .

Genesis 3:7-11 NLT

7 At that moment their eyes were opened, and they suddenly felt shame at their nakedness. So they sewed fig leaves together to cover themselves.

9 Then the LORD God called to the man, “Where are you?”

10 He replied, “I heard you walking in the garden, so I hid. I was afraid because I was naked.”

11 “Who told you that you were naked?” the LORD God asked. “Have you eaten from the tree whose fruit I commanded you not to eat?”

2 1 And the LORD God made clothing from animal skins for Adam and his wife.

Blessings, Cecilia

No comments:

Post a Comment