Thursday, September 7, 2017

1 Peter 2 - Die to Sin

Christ's Example of Suffering
(Isaiah 53:1-8; Matthew 26:57-68; Mark 14:53-65; John 18:19-24)
21For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in His footsteps: 
22“He committed no sin,
and no deceit was found in His mouth.”d
23When they heaped abuse on Him,
He did not retaliate;
when He suffered,
He made no threats,
but entrusted Himself to Him who judges justly. 
24He Himself bore our sins in His body on the tree,
so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness.
“By His stripes you are healed.”e
25For you were like sheep going astray,f but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls. 

This is hard for me because I was always a fighter. When I was in school, if you picked on me, you were going to get stung. But I was also smart, I didn't fight to win. I remember one fight in particular and the person had stolen our family downhill sled, my dad had used a soldering iron and burned our name in the bottom of it. I recognized it and took it back from him. He tried to stop me and jumped on my back. I flipped him over me onto the sidewalk knocking the wind out of him. I was beating him when the light went off in my head. I said to myself "you dummy, he belongs to a gang and everyone will be after me". So I relaxed and acted like the fight was a tie and then left with our sled.

Do you struggle with following in His footsteps?

The seasons are starting to change early this year and the leaves are changing color. 
Like the seasons, as followers of Christ we must change too.
May we grow deeper in Him, die to sin and and live to righteousness.


Blessings, David 

No comments:

Post a Comment