Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Train up a child....

Prov6:6 Train up a child in the way he should go [teaching him to seek
God’s wisdom and will for his abilities and talents], Even when he is old
he will not depart from it.
Eph6:4 Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger [do not exasperate
them to the point of resentment with demands that are trivial or
unreasonable or humiliating or abusive; nor by showing favoritism or
indifference to any of them], but bring them up [tenderly, with
lovingkindness] in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.

Some things are easier caught then taught. I know that it is better for me
to learn by example than it is to learn on my own, it helps me to process
what is going on and really helps it to sink in. There are many different
parts to having a relationship whether it is with a person or with God. We
would all agree one of the most important parts of a relationship is
spending time together, quality time. For the believer the time we spend in
the Bible, in worship and in fellowship with other believers is what helps
us get closer to God and can give us the direction and understanding that
we need. In Proverbs and Ephesians parents are given clear instructions
about training up a child in the ways of God and understanding that it has
purpose.One day, one of my daughters who was not living right before God
asked me to pray for her friend. I told her that she should pray for her
friend. She said that God did not listen to her, but she knew that God
listened to me. Brethren, if we do not show our children and grandchildren
by example what the love of Jesus is all about, the world will teach them
to look for love in everything else. If we do not show them by example how
to pray and study the Bible, the world will lie to them and tell them it is
all about what they can do on their own. One of my greatest memories is
when my children were young and reading them to sleep with the word of God.
Hearing my daughter read the Bible to my grandchildren truly brings joy to
my heart.

Douglas 

No comments:

Post a Comment