Saturday, April 15, 2017

2 Timothy 1 Is there someone you can minister to?

Hold to Sound Teaching
13Hold on to the pattern of sound teaching you have heard from me, with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. 14Guard the good treasure entrusted to you, with the help of the Holy Spirit who dwells in us.
15You know that everyone in the Province of Asia has deserted me, including Phygelus and Hermogenes.
16May the Lord grant mercy to the household of Onesiphorus, because he has often refreshed me and was unashamed of my chains. 17Indeed, when he arrived in Rome, he searched diligently until he found me.
18May the Lord grant Onesiphorus His mercy on that day. You know very well how much he ministered to me in Ephesus.

Paul was reminding Timothy to hold on to the truths that he was taught, to guard it as a treasure.
How would you like to be mentioned in the bible for desertion, like Phygelus and Hermogenes? They didn't hold on to the faith, the good treasure, and deserted Paul when he needed them most while in the Roman prison.
Guzik commentary: ii. We don't know much about Phygellus and Hermogenes; this is the only place they are mentioned in the Bible. It's a terrible thing to have your name recorded in God's word as an example of unfaithfulness.
http://biblehub.com/commentaries/guzik/2_timothy/1.htm

Several years ago a relative found a copy of my great great grandfather's civil war papers when he deserted the Confederacy towards the end of the war when things were going bad for the South. He was a courier and the Confederacy billed him for his horse and saddle. You could say my great great grandfather didn't hold on to mans promise of winning the war and his faith subsided.

Unlike man, Gods promises are true and He will never desert you. It may seem like it sometimes, when things in this world go wrong and everyone deserts you. But God doesn't desert you, like God said to Paul, He may say to you, My grace is sufficient for you.
2 Cor 12:9 But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is perfected in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly in my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest on me.

My prayer for you: may the Lord grant mercy on your household and may He grant mercy on you on that day.

Is there someone you can minister to?

Blessings, David

No comments:

Post a Comment