Tuesday, April 4, 2017

1 Timothy 5 My widow grandmother.

Support for Widows
(Ruth 1:1-5)
3Support the widows who are truly in need. 4But if a widow has children or grandchildren, they must first learn to show godliness to their own family and repay their parents, for this is pleasing in the sight of God.
5The widow who is truly in need and left all alone puts her hope in God and continues night and day in her petitions and prayers. 6But she who lives for pleasure is dead even while she is still alive.
7Give these instructions to the believers, so that they will be above reproach. 8If anyone does not provide for his own, and especially his own household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.
9A widow should be enrolled if she is at least sixty years old, the wife of one man, 10and well known for good deeds such as bringing up children, entertaining strangers, washing the feet of the saints, imparting relief to the afflicted, and devoting herself to every good work.
11But refuse to enroll younger widows. For when their passions draw them away from Christ, they will want to marry, 12and thus will incur judgment because they are setting aside their first faith. 13At the same time they will also learn to be idle, going from house to house and being not only idle, but also gossips and busybodies, speaking of things they should not mention.
14So I advise the younger widows to marry, have children, and manage their households, so they will not give the adversary an occasion for slander. 15For some have already turned aside to follow Satan.
16If any believing woman has dependent widows, she must assist them and not allow the church to be burdened, so that it can help the widows who are truly in need.

Notice the reference to Ruth 1. Do you think she was a godly widow. I do, and I believe God blessed her for it. Jesus was a descendant of Boaz and Ruth. Ruth was the great grandmother of David.

What do these verses teach us? They instruct us to take care of godly widows. They give instructions to churches for enrollment of widows for care and support.
In generations past, generations lived in the same household or on the same property, caring for each other.
What has changed in today's society?

I recall growing up in Michigan, my mothers parents lived in a small rural town over an hour away from my parents. When my grandfather died, my grandmother was all alone. She couldn't drive and didn't have an high school diploma. I went and lived in her basement for awhile, helping her around the house.
She eventually got her drivers license, then earned a GED, then a high school diploma. My brother and I took care of her property, mowing the field, cutting the grass, tilling the garden. When my parents moved to Arizona, I moved my parents household, my grandmothers household and my household. My parents and I built a small guest home on my fathers property for my grandmother. She lived there, and took basket weaving classes, went to a elders center weekly for a day, fed the birds and wildlife. I will always remember her as kind, and never heard her speak a harsh word.

Do you know a widow in need?

Blessings, David

No comments:

Post a Comment