Friday, July 28, 2017

James 2- Will you pass the test?

Faith and Works
(Genesis 15:1-7; Romans 4:1-12; Galatians 3:1-9; Hebrews 11:8-19)
14What good is it, my brothers, if someone claims to have faith, but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? 15Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. 16If one of you tells him, “Go in peace; stay warm and well fed,” but does not provide for his physical needs, what good is that? 17So too, faith by itself, if it is not complemented by action, is dead.

From Enduring Word;
i. “The apostle had just before declared, that they who are unmerciful to men shall find God severe to themselves, and have judgment without mercy: but hypocritical professors boasted of their faith as sufficient to secure them against that judgment, though they neglected the practice of holiness and righteousness.” (Poole)

ii. Can faith save him? “That is, his profession of faith; for it is not said that he has faith, but that he says, I have faith.” (Clarke)

i. “Your pretending to have faith, while you have no works of charity or mercy, is utterly vain: for as faith, which is a principle in the mind, cannot be discerned but by the effects, that is, good works; he who has no good works has, presumptively, no faith.” (Clarke)

God provides for His children. If you see one of His children naked and hungry and don't provide for their immediate needs, are you disobeying God?
Could it be He put you in that moment as the answer to someone's prayer?

I recall our son wanted to buy a homeless man lunch but when he offered it to him he yelled "no". I told my son we will find someone else. As we turned the next corner my wife yelled, stop! There was a women sitting on a curb, wrapped in a blanket beaten to a pulp. She prayed with her, offered assistance and gave her a meal. The shocking part was watching all the people passing her by, it was a modern day "Good Samaritan" story.
I believe when my son saw the homeless man and God put it on his heart to buy him lunch, God intended it for this woman.

Brethren, God may intend "you" be the answer to someone's prayer.
Will you pass the test?

Matthew 25:35-40New Living Translation (NLT)
35 For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. 36 I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’
37 “Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? 39 When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’
40 “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters,[a] you were doing it to me!’

Blessings, David

No comments:

Post a Comment