Saturday, August 12, 2017

James 5- Yes or No?

12Above all, my brothers, do not swear, not by heaven or earth or by any other oath. Simply let your “Yes” be yes, and your “No,” no, so that you will not fall under judgment.

The Jewish people in Jesus' time swore oaths that were considered binding and non-binding. Binding oaths were sworn by God and non-binding didn't contain any reference to God.
What James is trying to convey is; let your yes be yes and your no be no. Don't swear any oaths that you cannot keep. It shows weakness in your character. 

Oaths are not forbidden and we see references to them in the Old Testament: 
Genesis 21:23
23 Now therefore, bswear 7to me by God that you will not deal falsely with me, with my offspring, or with my posterity; but that according to the kindness that I have done to you, you will do to me and to the land in which you have dwelt.”

Don't make a promise you can't keep, it shows weakness in your character. It would be better for you not to swear an oath at all.

Do you allow your yes be yes and your no be no?
Yes or no?


Blessings, David 

No comments:

Post a Comment