Wednesday, October 25, 2017

God Is a Promise Keeper. Genesis 15:18 NLT

God Is a Promise Keeper
by Gary Oliver

I grew up in Southern California and my favorite activity was swimming. There was only one time I had to be rescued. When I was in ninth grade I went with some friends to Tamarack State Park near Oceanside, California, for a day of body surfing. The waves were great that day. I decided to swim a little farther from shore in the hopes of catching some larger waves.

I was so intent on catching the waves I didn't notice that the waves were beginning to break in a pattern that can produce rip tides. As I was swimming farther out. I dove underneath a wave that wad breaking right in front of me. Rather than immediately coming back up to the surface, I felt tremendous pressure pushing my body back down and pulling me out to sea. I had no idea what was happening. My feet touched the bottom, I tried to push myself up but couldn't. I was almost out of air and I panicked. I also prayed.

I forgot what I said to God but obviously He heard me. Suddenly I found myself on the surface of the water. I was exhausted and afraid it would happen again. I heard a voice shouting to me. I turned towards the voice to see a lifeguard throwing a life preserver and hung on for dear life. With the rope in one hand the lifeguard pulled me in.

When I made it to shore I was a bit embarrassed, but most of all I was grateful. The lifeguard said he had been watching me. He could see there was rip tide condition and knew I wasn't aware of it. Before I had gone under he was already swimming towards me to warn me and, if necessary, rescue me.

Over the years I've realized that living the Christian life is a lot like the experience I had that day. Even though I wasn't aware of it, the lifeguard had his eyes on me and knew I was moving into dangerous water. He was in the water before I needed him-just in case.

God is our lifeguard...God's promises are life preserves. They keep the soul from sinking into the sea of discouragement...

When your perspective becomes distorted and your problems begin to consume your entire field of vision, you need a perspective preserver. When it feels like God has deserted you and you begin to get discouraged, you will find that God's promises will always pull you out and bring you back to safety.

Genesis 15:18 NLT

18 So the LORD made a covenant with Abram that day and said, “I have given this land to your descendants, all the way from the border of Egypt to the great Euphrates River—

Blessings, Cecilia

No comments:

Post a Comment