Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Because of Abraham's Faith Genesis 17:15-22 NLT

Sometimes I'm a little slow, I can admit it. I have always questioned (in my mind) how Old Testament people get to heaven. Will they go at the rapture when the dead arise or are their spirits already there having gone at the time of their death? If it takes faith in Christ and Christ hadn't suffered on the cross yet, how could they already be in heaven? Did they go at the resurrection of Jesus? Did they go into an abyss of nothingness until then? 

You can see my confusion. 

Well, recently while doing this study of Genesis, it clicked. I finally understand the verse in Romans 5 verse 22 "And because of Abraham’s faith, God counted him as righteous." Other translations say "it was credited to him as righteousness.”  

Because of Abraham's faith, God's grace granted him eternal salvation even though Christ had not died for the sins of the world yet. Because of Abraham's faith, God gave him "credit". He got a "pass" to go to heaven when he died. 

It's our faith that guarantees us a place in heaven too. I think it's a little easier for us to get there then it was in the Old Testament time. We have something a little more tangible to hold on to. Jesus Christ. For us, salvation is achieved by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone. 

Romans 4:20-22 NLT 

20 Abraham never wavered in believing God’s promise. In fact, his faith grew stronger, and in this he brought glory to God.  21 He was fully convinced that God is able to do whatever he promises.  22 And because of Abraham’s faith, God counted him as righteous.  

Genesis 17:15-22 NLT 

15 Then God said to Abraham, “Regarding Sarai, your wife—her name will no longer be Sarai. From now on her name will be Sarah.   16 And I will bless her and give you a son from her! Yes, I will bless her richly, and she will become the mother of many nations. Kings of nations will be among her descendants.” 

17 Then Abraham bowed down to the ground, but he laughed to himself in disbelief. “How could I become a father at the age of 100?” he thought. “And how can Sarah have a baby when she is ninety years old?” 18 So Abraham said to God, “May Ishmael live under your special blessing!” 

19 But God replied, “No—Sarah, your wife, will give birth to a son for you. You will name him Isaac, and I will confirm my covenant with him and his descendants as an everlasting covenant.  20 As for Ishmael, I will bless him also, just as you have asked. I will make him extremely fruitful and multiply his descendants. He will become the father of twelve princes, and I will make him a great nation.  21 But my covenant will be confirmed with Isaac, who will be born to you and Sarah about this time next year.”   22 When God had finished speaking, he left Abraham. 


Blessings, Cecilia

No comments:

Post a Comment