Friday, October 13, 2017

A Rainbow Pin. Genesis 9:8-17 NLT

When I was 16 years old my mother died suddenly in the early morning hours of a heart attack. It was a devastating blow to my entire family. I remember every moment of that horrific morning, up until my dad walked in the door from the hospital carrying a white plastic bag with her possessions in it. He just said "She didn't make it." Everything is a blur after that. 

Needless to say, at 16, this event dropped me into a black hole of depression that lasted 17 years. During this time, my sister gave me a "package of rainbows" to help cheer me up. A sign of God's unwavering promise there was an end to the storm and hope in the days ahead. I don't remember everything that was in that gift box but I still have a rainbow pin that was part of it. 

The pin is made of baked clay and kind of fragile. It's a treasured possession of mine. It's a reminder of my sisters love for me and a reminder of my God who is there to get me through the storm.

When you're being tossed around by the next hurricane that hits, when the smoke from the fire is too black and thick to see the sky, when your home is shaken by an earthquake or the volcanoes are erupting around you, look up. God's placed a rainbow in the sky to remind you He is there with you. 

Genesis 9:8-17 NLT 

8 Then God told Noah and his sons,  9 “I hereby confirm my covenant with you and your descendants,  10 and with all the animals that were on the boat with you—the birds, the livestock, and all the wild animals—every living creature on earth.  11 Yes, I am confirming my covenant with you. Never again will floodwaters kill all living creatures; never again will a flood destroy the earth.” 

12 Then God said, “I am giving you a sign of my covenant with you and with all living creatures, for all generations to come.  13 I have placed my rainbow in the clouds. It is the sign of my covenant with you and with all the earth.  14 When I send clouds over the earth, the rainbow will appear in the clouds,  15 and I will remember my covenant with you and with all living creatures. Never again will the floodwaters destroy all life.  16 When I see the rainbow in the clouds, I will remember the eternal covenant between God and every living creature on earth.”  17 Then God said to Noah, “Yes, this rainbow is the sign of the covenant I am confirming with all the creatures on earth.” 


Blessings, Cecilia

No comments:

Post a Comment