Friday, January 6, 2017

Ephesians 6 Are you a slave to your job?

5Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. 6Try to please them all the time, not just when they are watching you. As slaves of Christ, do the will of God with all your heart. 7Work with enthusiasm, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. 8Remember that the Lord will reward each one of us for the good we do, whether we are slaves or free.

Slaves were freed in the United States:
The Emancipation Proclamation was a presidential proclamation and executive order issued by President Abraham Lincoln on January 1, 1863. It purported to change the federal legal status of more than 3 million enslaved people in the designated areas of the South from "slave" to "free", although its immediate effect was less.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emancipation_Proclamation

But in other parts of the world slavery is still an issue. In the New Testament times they had indentured servants.
http://coldcasechristianity.com/2014/four-differences-between-new-testament-servitude-and-new-world-slavery/

An indentured servant or indentured labor is an employee (indenturee) within a system of unfree labor who is bound by a contract (indenture) to work for a particular employer for a fixed period of time.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indentured_servant

It is believed my ancestors came to the Colonies in 1720's as an indentured servant.

Are you a slave to you job? Performing it daily only for an income to survive in this cruel world. Then these verses also speak to you. Perform your work sincerely as you would serve Christ. Try to please them always, with enthusiasm as though you are doing it for the Lord.

"As slaves of Christ, do the will of God with all your heart."

I remember when I was a teenager I painted my grandparents house every several years, it would peel, you would spend a day scraping, a day priming and several days  painting.
Next door there was a garage that needed painting. My grandmother talked to the owner and told me to paint it. I didn't want to, but I did it. I hated every brush stroke! It was enamel paint and required thinner to clean up brushes. I painted that garage as though I was doing it for her. That paint lasted 20 years!
I believe this was where I developed my work ethic.

Whatever task you are doing, do it as if you are doing it for the Lord. He will reward you.

Blessings, David

No comments:

Post a Comment