Saturday, February 25, 2017

Warts And All. Matthew 5:43-48

Matthew 5:43-48
Teaching about Love for Enemies
43 "You have heard the law that says, ‘Love your neighbor’ and hate your enemy. 44 But I say, love your enemies!  Pray for those who persecute you! 45 In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven. For He gives His sunlight to both the evil and the good, and He sends rain on the just and the unjust alike. 46 If you love only those who love you, what reward is there for that? Even corrupt tax collectors do that much. 47 If you are kind only to your friends, how are you different from anyone else? Even pagans do that. 48 But you are to be perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect.
Leviticus 19:18 "Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against a fellow Israelite, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD."
It's easy to love those who love you back. It's harder to love those who treat you spiteful. 
Years ago, I was at the local Wal-Mart with my son. It was shortly before Easter. I don't remember what transpired or why but the cashier was very rude to us. I did not retaliate with rudeness, I completed the transaction and left but it bothered me. Now, I understand some people just have bad days, I've had plenty myself. 
Our church always did a big Easter celebration and printed out flyers to invite the community. I went back to that Wal-Mart, flyer in hand and waited in that cashier's line. When I got to her I said to her "I was in the other day with my son and you were very rude to us. I just wanted to invite you to this event our church is having." I handed her the flyer and left. I pray I made a difference . 
Who is it in your life that is hard to love? The grumpy neighbor? That rude cashier? Maybe it's a certain family member? Love them like Jesus loves you because he does, warts and all. 
Blessings, Cecilia

No comments:

Post a Comment