Sunday, February 5, 2017

I Like Oatmeal. Matthew 3:11-12

Matthew 3:11-12
11 “I baptize with water those who repent of their sins and turn to God. But someone is coming soon who is greater than I am—so much greater that I’m not worthy even to be His slave and carry His sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire. 12 He is ready to separate the chaff from the wheat with His winnowing fork. Then He will clean up the threshing area, gathering the wheat into His barn but burning the chaff with never-ending fire.”
Which are you, the chaff or the wheat? 
"A winnowing fork tossed both unto the air. The wind blew the chaff away, and the heavier grain fell to be gathered up from the ground. The scattered chaff was swept up and burned and the threshing floor cleared." (Carson)
I love oatmeal. I eat it several times a week. I like the good quality organic stuff, minimally processed. No microwave stuff for me, mine must be cooked on the stove. I throw a handful of walnuts in it, some raisins, drizzle honey on it and add a little milk. It's good for the heart with an added boost from the walnuts and helps my high cholesterol. 
Every once in a while I come across an annoying piece of chaff. It's tough and I pick it out of my mouth. Whats worse is when it gets stuck between my teeth. That requires floss. 
Chaff is the worthless residue of a wheat stalk after the kernel of grain has been removed. (France) The wheat grain is a cereal grain that yields a fine white flour used chiefly in breads, baked goods and pastas. (Webster)  All kinds of useful, yummy stuff can be made from it. 
So if chaff is annoying, useless, worthless residue only worthy of fire, why would anyone want to identify with it? God can use the wheat, he can't use the chaff. 
Blessings, Cecilia

No comments:

Post a Comment