Thursday, December 22, 2016

Your Simon State. Luke 22:31-34


Luke 22 (NKJV)
Jesus Predicts Peter’s Denial
31 And the Lord said, “Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat. 32 But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren.”
33 But he said to Him, “Lord, I am ready to go with You, both to prison and to death.”
34 Then He said, “I tell you, Peter, the rooster shall not crow this day before you will deny three times that you know Me.”

A couple of things about these verses. First, Jesus refers to Peter by his first name here, Simon. Jesus hadn't called Peter by Simon after he started following Him. Peter was his "after" name. Simon was his "before" name. Yet here, Jesus calls him Simon. Why? Because Jesus knew his faith would falter.
Second Jesus says "Simon, Simon". When Jesus said something twice, it meant "listen up". "Martha, Martha", "truly, truly", "verily, verily". He was saying "listen up , Peter, your faith is waning Satan will attack you and shake you to the core. When you are restored, strengthen your brothers". To which Peter replied "I'll follow you in death if I have to". I don't think Peter heard Jesus. If Jesus had just told me Satan was going to sift me as wheat, but don't worry, I prayed that when he is done, you will return to me" my response would be "What!? Thanks a lot Jesus, why couldn't you pray it wouldn't happen in the first place! Some friend!"
Third, Jesus tells Peter he will deny Him, not just once but three times! We call this a "Peter moment". We've all done it, had that opportunity to share Jesus but not used it because we didn't want people to think we are Jesus freaks. The aftermath doesn't feel good and we become bolder because we don't want to repeat it, ever. That's the returning Jesus mentions to Peter.
Peter had to return to his Simon state so that Jesus could use him the way Jesus intended. Peter had to return to his Simon state to see what he was losing, what life would be like without Jesus. Now that Peter had experienced life with Jesus, Jesus wanted Peter to remember what life without Him had been like.
Now that you've experienced life with Jesus, could you go back to your Simon state? I couldn't.
Blessings, Cecilia

No comments:

Post a Comment