Monday, June 5, 2017

Life is short and then you die!

Life is short and then you die. I know that this is a crude way
to look at it, and yet, this earthly life is the second longest thing we
will do and only God knows how long it will be. *Job 14:5 “Since his days
are determined, The number of his months is with You [in Your control], And
You have made his limits so he cannot pass [his allotted time].* The
problem that I have had with life is wasting time doing things that have no
eternal value and only earthly consequences. George Carlin did a skit about
"stuff". He said, "That's all your house is- a place to keep your stuff. If
you didn't have so much stuff, you wouldn't need a house. That's what your
house is, a place to keep your stuff while you go out and get...more
stuff!" For many of us, including me, I have been more focused on working
to get more "stuff" than being comfortable with what I have as I should,
*Hebrews 13:5 Let your character [your moral essence, your inner nature] be
free from the love of money [shun greed—be financially ethical], being
content with what you have...* As I have now passed my 50's, I know how
precious time is. It says in *James 4:14...You are merely a vapor [like a
puff of smoke or a wisp of steam from a cooking pot] that is visible for a
little while and then vanishes [into thin air].*I have a picture that is
dear to me of my grand-daughter who is four years old, holding a picture of her mother
when she was about four. They look almost exactly the same. The problem for me
is, that it seems like my daughter was four just yesterday. I know that there
were years that I have lost with those that I love most, that I can never
get back because of "stuff". Brethren, may we focus on loving our God and
loving those around us as much as we can, for as long as we can, before we
can't for one reason or another. In Jesus name, amen.

Douglas

No comments:

Post a Comment