Sunday, June 11, 2017

Hebrews 9 The Blood Shedding

18That is why even the first covenant was not put into effect without blood. 19For when Moses had proclaimed every commandment of the Law to all the people, he took the blood of calves and goats, along with water, scarlet wool, and hyssop, and sprinkled the scroll and all the people, 20saying, “This is the blood of the covenant, which God has commanded you to keep.”c
21In the same way, he sprinkled with blood the tabernacle and all the vessels used in worship. 22According to the Law, in fact, nearly everything must be purified with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.

The original unedited text is here: http://www.spurgeon.org/sermons/0118.php

The Blood Shedding by C. H. Spurgeon
January 7, 2010 by ADMIN
I will show you three fools. One is yonder soldier, who has been wounded on the field of battle, grievously wounded, well nigh unto death; the surgeon is by his side, and the soldier asks him a question. Listen, and judge of his folly. What question does he ask? Does he raise his eyes with eager anxiety and inquire if the practitioner’s skill can suggest the means of healing, or if the remedies are within reach and the medicine at hand? No, nothing of the sort; strange to tell, he asks, “Can you inform me with what sword I was wounded, and by what Russian I have been thus grievously mauled? I want,” he adds, “to learn every minute particular respecting the origin of my wound.” The man is delirious. Such questions at such a time are proof that he is bereft of his senses.
There is another fool. The storm is raging, the ship flying impetuous before the gale, the masts are creaking, the sails are rent to rags, and still the gathering tempest grows more fierce. Where is the captain? Is he busily engaged on the deck, manfully facing the danger, and skillfully suggesting the means to avert it? No, he has retired to his cabin, and there with studious thoughts is speculating on where the storm took its rise. “It is mysterious, this wind; no one ever yet,” he says, “has been able to discover it.” And, so reckless of the vessel, the lives of the passengers, and his own life, he is careful only to solve his curious questions. Take the rudder from his hand, he is clean gone mad!
The third fool I shall doubtless find among yourselves. You are sick and wounded with sin, you are in the storm and the hurricane of Almighty vengeance, and yet the question you would ask of me, would be, “Sir, what is the origin of evil?” You are spiritually mad; that is not the question you would ask if you were in a sane and healthy state of mind; your question would be: “How can I get rid of this evil?” Not, “How did it come into the world?” but, “How am I to escape from it?” Not, “How is it that I am sick,” but, “Are there medicines what will heal me?” “Is there a physician to be found that can restore my soul to health?”
The broad fact is this, your question should be, “How can I escape from the wrath to come?” In answering that question, [Hebrews 9:22–“without the shedding of blood, there is no remission of sin] stands right in the middle of the way. Your real want is to know how you can be saved; if you are aware that your sin must be [either] pardoned or punished, your question will be, “How can it be pardoned?” and then point blank in the very teeth of your inquiry stands out this fact: “without the shedding of blood, there is no remission.” But some men will say that God’s way of saving men, by the shedding of blood, is a cruel way, an unjust way, an unkind way; and all kinds of things they will say of it. Sirs, I have nothing to do with your opinion of the matter; it is so. If you have any faults to find with your Maker, fight your battles out with him at last. . . . The doctrine of the atonement, when rightly understood and faithfully received, is delightful, for it exhibits boundless love, immeasurable goodness, and infinite truth; but to unbelievers it will always be a hated doctrine.
Note how decisive this is in its character. “Without the shedding of blood, there is no remission.” “But, sir, can’t I get my sins forgiven by my repentance? If I weep, and plead, and pray, will not God forgive me for the sake of my tears?” “No remission,” says the text, “without the shedding of blood.” “But, sir, if I never sin again, and if I serve God more zealously than other men, will he not forgive me for the sake of my obedience?” “No remission,” says the text, “without the shedding of blood.” “But, sir, may I not trust that God is merciful, and will forgive me without the shedding of blood?” “No,” says the text, “without the shedding of blood, there is no remission;” none whatever. It cuts off ever other hope. Bring your hopes here, and if they are not based in blood, they are as useless as castles in the air, and dreams at night.
Note again how universal it is in its character. “What! may I not get remission without blood-shedding?” says the king; and he comes with the crown on his head; “May not I in all my robes, with this rich ransom, get pardon without blood-shedding?” “None,” is the reply, “None.” Forthwith comes the wise man, with a number of learnings after his name. “Can I not get remission by these grand titles of my learning?” “None, none.” Then comes the benevolent man. “I have dispersed my money to the poor, and given my bounty to feed them; shall I not get remission?” “None;” says the text, “without the shedding of blood, there is no remission of sin.” How this puts everyone on a level! No hope for the best, any more than for the worst, without the shedding of blood. Oh! I love the gospel, because it is a leveling gospel.
Mark too, how perpetual my text is. Paul said, “there is no remission;” I must repeat this testimony too. When thousands of years have rolled away, some minister may stand on this spot and say the same. This will never alter at all, in the next world as well as this: no remission without the shedding of blood. The fact is, beloved, there is no use for you to satisfy your hearts with anything less than what satisfied God the Father. Without the shedding of blood, nothing would appease his justice; without the application of that same blood, nothing can purge your consciences.
Edited by Jim Ehrhard
https://teachingresources.org/2010/01/07/the-blood-shedding-by-c-h-spurgeon/

Blessings, David

No comments:

Post a Comment