Friday, September 16, 2016

Crucifixion. Psalm 22:14-21

Psalm 22 NLT
14 My life is poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint. My heart is like wax, melting within me. 15 My strength has dried up like sunbaked clay. My tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth. You have laid me in the dust and left me for dead. 16 My enemies surround me like a pack of dogs; an evil gang closes in on me. They have pierced my hands and feet. 17 I can count all my bones. My enemies stare at me and gloat. 18 They divide my garments among themselves and throw dice for my clothing. 19 O LORD, do not stay far away! You are my strength; come quickly to my aid! 20 Save me from the sword; spare my precious life from these dogs. 21 Snatch me from the lion’s jaws and from the horns of these wild oxen. 

Written some 900 years before Christ and several hundreds years before crucifixion was even heard of. A first person account of crucifixion. As described in the Gospels, My life poured out like water, my bones are out if joint, my heart is like wax, my strength is dried up, my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth, they have pierced my hands and feet, they divide my garments, throw dice for my clothing, save me from the sword......

The Author, David, had never suffered such persecution yet describes it so accurately here. God breathed? God inspired? Some say the Bible is just the writings of men. If it were, how could David have so accurately described what one of his descendants would go through some 900 years later? 

2 Timothy 3:16 "All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right."

Interesting read on crucifixion:

http://www.thenazareneway.com/details_history_of_crucifixion.htm

Blessings, Cecilia

No comments:

Post a Comment