Saturday, May 19, 2018

John 13:12-13 The lord or the servant?

John 13:12-13 “When he had washed their feet and put on his outer garments and resumed his place, he said to them, “Do you understand what I have done to you? You call me Teacher and Lord, and you are right, for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet.”

Lord or servant? That is the question! We have noticed a difference with volunteers in the children’s ministry in our church verses our previous church. We are not sure of the cause. Could it be different area of the country, changing times or background and ages of volunteers?

In our previous church the volunteers would often ask, where do you need me? 
In our current church we hear things like; 
I will only volunteer in this room.
I will only volunteer with this person.
Our group serves together in that room.
I’m not doing that.
When asked at closing, to pile the toys the children have played with in the center of the room so the cleaning crew knows which toys to clean. We hear, no I won’t do that.
Or if someone disagrees with the churches written guidelines they gossip and spread dissension.

But in these verses we see the Lord, our God, the Teacher, remove His outer garments and humble Himself and wash the dirty feet of his disciples. It was about the lowest job a person could do. Back then they wore sandals, didn’t have socks and walked everywhere. When you entered a home a servant would remove your sandals and wash your dirty, dusty, stinky feet. 

But what example would we have had if Jesus said, no I’m not doing that?

Before we serve:
We need to pray, pry open my hands and my heart Lord!

We need to pray for a servants heart.

We need to pray, where do you want me to serve?

We need to pray, Lord please remove my stubbornness.

Pray.... Father remove my pride and allow me to serve where I’m needed.

Will you “wash one another’s feet”?

Do you want to be the lord or the servant?

Blessings, David 





No comments:

Post a Comment