Wednesday, May 16, 2018

I didn't know. Psalm 3:6-8 NLT

I had a neighbor in Tucson I did NOT get along with. I know, hard to believe. I tried but we just couldn't seem to make it work. I remember one November I had been sick. It was a nice enough day outside but the house was cold so I had a fire going in the woodstove. I walked out to check the mail and my neighbor came over and asked to talk to me. Sure. She proceeded with profanity laced name calling related to the smoke coming out of the chimney. I had to walk away before I said something I would regret. Inside I was fuming. I stood on my back porch with clenched teeth and balled up fists. 

Then I prayed. I prayed for her. I didn't know what was going on in her life. I didn't know how her morning had gone. I didn't know what was happening with her family. I didn't know what trials or stressors or conflicts were brewing in her life. But God did. God knew. I asked God to bless her, to give her peace, to protect her. I asked God to use whatever was going on in her life to draw her to Him. I asked God to give me compassion towards her and not hold any ill will towards her. 

I really wanted to pray like David. "Slap all my enemies in the face!  Shatter the teeth of the wicked!" But that's not what Jesus teaches in Matthew 5:44b "Pray for those who persecute you!" 
Who do you need to pray for today? 

Psalm 3:6-8 NLT
6 I am not afraid of ten thousand enemies 
who surround me on every side. 
7 Arise, O LORD! 
Rescue me, my God! 
Slap all my enemies in the face! 
Shatter the teeth of the wicked! 
8 Victory comes from you, O LORD. 
May you bless your people. 
Interlude 

Blessings, Cecilia

No comments:

Post a Comment