Thursday, January 31, 2019

Genesis 30:25-28 Name your wages!

Jacob Prospers
25Now after Rachel had given birth to Joseph, Jacob said to Laban, “Send me on my way so I can return to my homeland. 26Give me my wives and children, for whom I have served you, and I will go on my way. You know how hard I have worked for you.”
27But Laban replied, “If I have found favor in your eyes, please stay. I have learned by divination that the LORD has blessed me because of you.” 28And he added, “Name your wages, and I will pay them.”

Jacob was away for more the 14 years, away from the Promised land which was promised to Abraham and Isaac.

“ I have learned by divination that the LORD has blessed me because of you.” 
Divination (from Latin divinare "to foresee, to be inspired by a god",[2] related to divinus, divine) is the attempt to gain insight into a question or situation by way of an occultic, standardized process or ritual.
Notice is says “a god” and not the God. Later we will learn Laban had idols in his household.
But also notice, “the LORD has blessed me because of you.” Isn’t it interesting that the Lord blessed Laban, an idol worshiper, a person who practices divination because Jacob was in his immediate family, his son in law?

“Name your wages, and I will pay them.” Here we go again! Is Laban trustworthy? How many times will the “wages” change?

I’m guilty, I have changed someone’s wages. Have you?


Blessings, David 

No comments:

Post a Comment