Saturday, January 26, 2019

Genesis 30:1-8 Envy

Dan and Naphtali
1When Rachel saw that she was not bearing any children for Jacob, she envied her sister. “Give me children, or I will die!” she said to Jacob.
2Jacob became angry with Rachel and said, “Am I in the place of God, who has withheld children from you?”
3Then she said, “Here is my maidservant Bilhah. Sleep with her, and she will bear children for me, so that through her I too can build a family.”
4So Rachel gave Jacob her servant Bilhah as his wife, and he slept with her, 5and Bilhah conceived and bore him a son. 6Then Rachel said, “God has vindicated me; He has heard my plea and given me a son.” So she named him Dan.
7And Rachel’s servant Bilhah conceived again and bore Jacob a second son. 8Then Rachel said, “In my great struggles, I have wrestled with my sister and won.” So she named him Naphtali.

Here we go again, Sarah did this with Abraham and now Rachel repeats the practice of surrogate child bearer. 

Rachel envied her sister Leah because of the children she bore for Jacob and Leah envied Rachel because of her beauty. 

“God has vindicated me; He has heard my plea and given me a son.”
“Can a woman get so low that she will hit her sister over the head with a baby? Rachel did.” (Barnhouse)

Dan, meaning (judgement).
Naphtali, meaning  (wrestle).

Envy, is a tool of Satan.
Don’t allow envy to consume you like Rachel and Leah.


Blessings, David 

No comments:

Post a Comment