Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Genesis 29:19-25 Deception!

19Laban replied, “Better that I give her to you than to another. Stay here with me.” 20So Jacob served seven years for Rachel, yet it seemed but a few days because of his love for her.
21Finally Jacob said to Laban, “Grant me my wife, for my time is complete, and I want to sleep with her.”
22So Laban invited all the men of that place and prepared a feast. 23But when evening came, Laban took his daughter Leah and gave her to Jacob, and he slept with her. 24And Laban gave his servant girl Zilpah to his daughter Leah as her maidservant.
25When morning came, there was Leah! “What have you done to me?” Jacob said to Laban. “Wasn’t it for Rachel that I served you? Why have you deceived me?”

“She may have loved Jacob secretly. She may have considered this her one chance to get a husband. She may have thought this an unsought, and therefore justifiable, opportunity to steal a march on her sister.” (Leupold)

But Leah was under complete authority of her father and with the customs of the day it wasn’t too hard to conceal her identity as she would have been veiled until the wedding was over and they were alone in the wedding suite. 

Laban sinned!
How do you think Leah felt? How do you think Rachel felt? 
Jacob the deceiver was deceived!

Blessings, David 


No comments:

Post a Comment