Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Genesis 30:17-21 Competition, who wins?

Issachar, Zebulun, and Dinah
17And God listened to Leah, and she conceived and bore a fifth son to Jacob. 18Then Leah said, “God has rewarded me for giving my maidservant to my husband.” So she named him Issachar.
19Again Leah conceived and bore a sixth son to Jacob. 20“God has given me a good gift,” she said. “This time my husband will honor me, because I have borne him six sons.” And she named him Zebulun.
21After that, Leah gave birth to a daughter and named her Dinah.

Issachar means reward.
Zebulun means dwelling.
Dinah, we don’t know what the meaning of her name.

The two sisters were in a competition for their husband, with continually raising the stakes. Later in Leviticus we read God forbids taking a sister as a wife.
Leviticus 18:18You must not take your wife’s sister as a rival wife and have sexual relations with her while your wife is still alive.

“Is it any wonder that this family had a history of strife and bloodshed? Children reflect the atmosphere of the home.” (Barnhouse)

Are you in a competition with someone? Is it godly?

Blessings, David 

The key to godliness is not more knowledge but more obedience.

Woodrow Kroll

No comments:

Post a Comment