Saturday, January 5, 2019

Genesis 27:19-24 Are you really my son?

Isaac Blesses Jacob
19Jacob said to his father, “I am Esau, your firstborn. I have done as you told me. Please sit up and eat some of my game, so that you may bless me.”
20But Isaac asked his son, “How did you ever find it so quickly, my son?”
“Because the LORD your God brought it to me,” he replied.
21Then Isaac said to Jacob, “Please come closer so I can touch you, my son. Are you really my son Esau or not?”
22So Jacob came close to his father Isaac, who touched him and said, “The voice is the voice of Jacob, but the hands are the hands of Esau.” 23Isaac did not recognize him, because his hands were hairy like those of his brother Esau; so he blessed him.
24Again he asked, “Are you really my son Esau?”
And he replied, “I am.”

Four lies in five verses! The trickster and scoundrel even lied about a blessing from God, “Because the LORD your God brought it to me,” !

Jacob takes advantage of Isaac’s good nature but when asked repeatedly he continued to lie. Such a scoundrel!

What is interesting to me is that God opened the book into this family and showed the world how dysfunctional they were! Mistrusting, scheming, lying but He continued to bless them!

Fast forward to us. How are we any different? Have we ever lied, schemed and been dysfunctional and mistrusting?

Blessings, David 


No comments:

Post a Comment