Friday, January 11, 2019

Genesis 27:41-46 Bitterness corrodes the container it’s kept in.

41Esau held a grudge against Jacob because of the blessing his father had given him. And Esau said in his heart: “The days of mourning for my father are at hand; then I will kill my brother Jacob.”
42When the words of her older son Esau were relayed to Rebekah, she sent for her younger son Jacob and told him, “Look, your brother Esau is consoling himself by plotting to kill you. 43So now, my son, obey my voice and flee at once to my brother Laban in Haran. 44Stay with him for a while, until your brother’s fury subsides— 45until your brother’s rage against you wanes and he forgets what you have done to him. Then I will send for you and bring you back from there. Why should I lose both of you in one day?”
46Then Rebekah said to Isaac, “I am weary of my life because of these Hittite women. If Jacob takes a Hittite wife from among them, what good is my life?”

Pride and envy turns to hatred. 
“Bitterness corrodes the container it’s kept in.” Pastor Scott Distler
“Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is pored.” Mark Twain 

“The days of mourning for my father are at hand; then I will kill my brother Jacob.”
Issac is believed to have lived another 43 years.

Rebekah sends Jacob away to stay with Laban and Rebekah’s family in Haran, which turned out to be more than 20 years.
“Rebekah’s diplomatic victory was complete; but she would never see her son again.” (Kidner)

This dysfunctional family schemed and worked against each other instead of relying on the Lord but He still accomplished His purpose through them. 
They knew His Promise and His word, but were they kicking against the goads?

Do we kick against the goads?


Blessings, David 

No comments:

Post a Comment