Wednesday, July 20, 2016

John 8:12-20 Turn On The Light!

John 8 
Jesus, the Light of the World 
12 Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, “I am the Light of the world. If you follow Me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life.” 13 The Pharisees replied, “You are making those claims about Yourself! Such testimony is not valid.” 14 Jesus told them, “These claims are valid even though I make them about Myself. For I know where I came from and where I am going, but you don’t know this about Me. 15 You judge Me by human standards, but I do not judge anyone. 16 And if I did, My judgment would be correct in every respect because I am not alone. The Father who sent Me is with Me. 17 Your own law says that if two people agree about something, their witness is accepted as fact. 18 I am one witness, and my Father who sent Me is the other.” 19 “Where is Your father?” they asked. Jesus answered, “Since you don’t know who I am, you don’t know who My Father is. If you knew Me, you would also know My Father.” 20 Jesus made these statements while He was teaching in the section of the Temple known as the Treasury. But He was not arrested, because His time had not yet come.

I googled the definition of the word "Light". I was amazed at all the uses of the word. We take "light" for granted. The sun rises and the day gets brighter. We walk into a dark room, flip a switch, a light comes on and we can see. We even have a little flashlight on our personal phones. We never have to be in darkness if we don't want to be.

Light can also refer to weight. Something can be heavy or light. What is heavy to one person may seem light to another. We could have a heavy heart or be lighthearted. We may have "a light go on" and get understanding. We can light a fire or our face can light up with joy. 

Light can also refer to shades of color or hue. We can paint something a light blue or a dark blue. Light black could be grey and a dark white could look yellow. 

All of these definitions could be applied to Jesus. He chases away the darkness, can remove the heaviness in our heart, bring joy to our life and give us understanding. He can color our world from black to white and take the weight of the world off our shoulders and make our steps light. 

All we have to do is turn on the Light and see Him. 

Blessings, Cecilia

No comments:

Post a Comment