Friday, February 19, 2021

A Fight To The Death Jude 1:3-4

 When I was in Middle School I was involved in my one and only physical fight.  A girl I didn’t know accused me of trying to steal her boyfriend. I tried to tell her I had no idea who her boyfriend was, even after she told me his name, but she called me a liar. She started pushing me and I pushed back. Unfortunately my push was hard and she went through the plate glass window into the sewing classroom. That was the end of the fight. 


What in your life is worth fighting for? Your spouse, your kids, your home? I suspect we all will answer “yes”. What about things unseen? Your health and well-being? Yes again.  What about your faith? 


Would you fight to the death to defend your faith in Jesus Christ and the Gospel? 

In just the last year, there have been:

  • Over 340 million Christians living in places where they experience high levels of persecution and discrimination
  • 4,761 Christians killed for their faith
  • 4,488 churches and other Christian buildings attacked
  • 4,277 believers detained without trial, arrested, sentenced or imprisoned

From open doors USA


“The Greek word Jude uses for "contend" is epagōnizomai. This is the only place in all of Scripture that this word is used. It comes from the root word agōnizomai, an athletic term that refers to ancient Greek contests. This paints the picture of hard work that would be continuous, costly and agonizing.”

From Proverbs 31 Ministries 


So what about you? Would you fight a continuous, costly and agonizing battle to defend your faith in Jesus Christ and the Gospel? Even a fight to our death? 


Jude 1:3-4 Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt compelled to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to God’s holy people. 4For certain individuals whose condemnation was written about  long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord.


In His Name

No comments:

Post a Comment