Monday, December 17, 2018

Wisdom Can Not Be Bought. Proverbs 3:13-20 NLT

In the movie "It's A Wonderful Life" the young George Bailey goes into Mr. Gowers drugstore and places his hand on a large cigar lighter. He closes his eyes, raises his hand as if taking an oath and says " I wish I had a million dollars". He moves the lever sparking the flint and the lighter catches producing a flame. "Hot dog!" he exclaims as he moves on to the ice cream counter. 

1 Kings 3: 5 That night the LORD appeared to Solomon in a dream, and God said, “What do you want? Ask, and I will give it to you!” 

9 Give me an understanding heart so that I can govern your people well and know the difference between right and wrong. For who by himself is able to govern this great people of yours?” 

10 The Lord was pleased that Solomon had asked for wisdom. 11 So God replied, “Because you have asked for wisdom in governing my people with justice and have not asked for a long life or wealth or the death of your enemies— 12 I will give you what you asked for! I will give you a wise and understanding heart such as no one else has had or ever will have! 13 And I will also give you what you did not ask for—riches and fame! No other king in all the world will be compared to you for the rest of your life! 14 And if you follow me and obey my decrees and my commands as your father, David, did, I will give you a long life.” 

If God asked you "What do you want? Ask, and I will give it to you!” what would you ask for? Most of us would probably ask for wealth, enough to live comfortably and help others. Maybe we'd ask for health for ourselves and our loved ones. Would we think to ask for wisdom? Probably not. Yet, here we learn wisdom is more precious then all the wealth we could attain. 

Wisdom cannot be bought. 

Proverbs 3:13-20 NLT 

13 Joyful is the person who finds wisdom, the one who gains understanding. 

14 For wisdom is more profitable than silver, and her wages are better than gold. 

15 Wisdom is more precious than rubies; nothing you desire can compare with her.

16 She offers you long life in her right hand, and riches and honor in her left. 

17 She will guide you down delightful paths; all her ways are satisfying. 

18 Wisdom is a tree of life to those who embrace her; happy are those who hold her tightly. 

Blessings, Cecilia 


No comments:

Post a Comment