Friday, December 14, 2018

Genesis 24:34-51 Make up your mind!

34“I am Abraham’s servant,” he replied. 35“The LORD has greatly blessed my master, and he has become rich. He has given him sheep and cattle, silver and gold, menservants and maidservants, camels and donkeys. 36My master’s wife Sarah has borne him a son in her old age, and my master has given him everything he owns.
37My master made me swear an oath and said, ‘You shall not take a wife for my son from the daughters of the Canaanites in whose land I dwell, 38but you shall go to my father’s house and to my kindred to take a wife for my son.’
39Then I asked my master, ‘What if the woman will not come back with me?’
40And he told me, ‘The LORD, before whom I have walked, will send His angel with you and make your journey a success, so that you may take a wife for my son from my kindred and from my father’s house. 41Then, when you go to my kindred, if they refuse to give her to you, you will be released from my oath.’
42So when I came to the spring today, I prayed, ‘O LORD, God of my master Abraham, if only You would make my journey a success! 43Here I am, standing beside this spring. Now if a maiden comes out to draw water and I say to her, “Please let me drink a little water from your jar,” 44and she replies, “Drink, and I will draw water for your camels as well,” may she be the woman the LORD has appointed for my master’s son.
45And before I had finished praying in my heart, there was Rebekah coming out with her jar on her shoulder, and she went down to the spring and drew water. So I said to her, ‘Please give me a drink.’
46She quickly lowered her jar from her shoulder and said, ‘Drink, and I will water your camels as well.’ So I drank, and she also watered the camels.
47Then I asked her, ‘Whose daughter are you?’
She replied, ‘The daughter of Bethuel son of Nahor, whom Milcah bore to him.’ So I put the ring on her nose and the bracelets on her wrists. 48Then I bowed down and worshiped the LORD; and I praised the LORD, the God of my master Abraham, who led me on the right road to take the granddaughter of my master’s brother for his son.
49Now if you will show kindness and faithfulness to my master, tell me; but if not, let me know, so that I may go elsewhere.”
50Laban and Bethuel answered, “This is from the LORD; we have no choice in the matter. 51Rebekah is here before you. Take her and go, and let her become the wife of your master’s son, just as the LORD has decreed.”

Today’s study is long, and Spurgeon’s interpretations say it all.
Eliezer is the servant of Abraham.

“The phrase, ‘my master’, is the refrain of this chapter; the word ‘master’ occurs twenty- two times. Eliezer did not aspire to any independence of Abraham, or of Abraham’s son. His thoughts were of his master; his words were in praise of his master; his deeds on behalf of his master. He was not his own, but the bond-servant of another. This is also our position.” (Spurgeon)

“‘Well,’ says one, ‘I am glad you have spoken to us; I will think it over.’ No, friend, I do not mean that. I do not want you to think it over. You have had enough of thinking; I pray that God’s Spirit may lead you to an immediate decision.” (Spurgeon)

Last night Cecilia and I attended Compassionate Recovery at our church. We haven’t been able to attend due to work, commitments etc. The study’s theme, get up and move. When the Lords directs you and opens a door to change or do something in your life, get up and move. You can’t do anything if you just sit there. Don’t be wishy washy. Make up your mind, this door may not open again!

Eliezer wanted an immediate decision, make up your mind!


Blessings, David 

No comments:

Post a Comment