Saturday, December 15, 2018

Genesis 24:52-61 Don’t Delay!

52When Abraham’s servant heard their words, he bowed down to the ground before the LORD. 53Then he brought out jewels of silver and gold, and articles of clothing, and gave them to Rebekah. He also gave precious gifts to her brother and her mother. 54Then he and the men with him ate and drank and spent the night there.
When they got up the next morning, he said, “Send me on my way to my master.”
55But her brother and mother said, “Let the girl remain with us ten days or so. After that, she may go.”
56But he replied, “Do not delay me, since the LORD has made my journey a success. Send me on my way so that I may go to my master.”
57So they said, “We will call the girl and ask her opinion.”
58They called Rebekah and asked her, “Will you go with this man?”
“I will go,” she replied.
59So they sent their sister Rebekah on her way, along with her nurse and Abraham’s servant and his men. 60And they blessed Rebekah and said to her,
“Our sister, may you become the mother
of thousands upon thousands.
May your offspring possess
the gates of their enemies.”
61Then Rebekah and her servant girls got ready, mounted the camels, and followed the man. So the servant took Rebekah and left.

Rebekah’s family wanted the departure delayed.
“He thought, perhaps, that there were more golden bracelets to be had, that he was parting with his sister rather too cheaply, that he must not let the priceless gem go out of his hands too soon.” (Spurgeon)

I find Spurgeon’s comment interesting for I myself thought that they loved their sister/daughter and wanted to spend a little more time with her to properly say goodbye.

Rebekah says, ““I will go,....” Words of faith to leave her home and travel 900 miles to marry a man she has never met.

“If the world does not succeed in persuading the believer to abide in the world, it will seek to delay his exit… When you decide to go with the Lord, the world will applaud your devotion but will say, ‘Don’t rush. Abide a few days, at least ten, and then go.’” (Barnhouse)

Ten days to try and convince you otherwise or to receive more golden bracelets! 

When the Lord calls you to do something, get up and move, don’t delay!


Blessings, David 

No comments:

Post a Comment