Saturday, December 30, 2017

Revelation 1-Judgement is coming!

John's Vision on Patmos
9I, John, your brother and partner in the tribulation and kingdom and perseverance that are in Jesus, was on the island of Patmos because of the word of God and my testimony about Jesus. 10On the Lord’s day I was in the Spirit, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet, 11saying,c “Write in a scroll what you see and send it to the seven churches: to Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, and Laodicea.”
12Then I turned to see the voice that was speaking with me. And having turned, I saw seven golden lampstands, 13and among the lampstands was One like the Son of Man,d dressed in a long robe, with a golden sash around His chest. 14The hair of His head was white like wool, as white as snow, and His eyes were like a blazing fire. 15His feet were like polished bronze refined in a furnace, and His voice was like the roar of many waters. 16He held in His right hand seven stars, and a sharp double-edged sword came from His mouth. His face was like the sun shining at its brightest.
17When I saw Him, I fell at His feet like a dead man. But He placed His right hand on me and said, “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last, 18the Living One. I was dead, and behold, now I am alive forever and ever! And I hold the keys of Death and of Hades.
19Therefore write down the things you have seen, and the things that are, and the things that will happen after this. 20This is the mystery of the seven stars you saw in My right hand and of the seven golden lampstands: The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands are the seven churches. 

Patmos was a desolate prison island of rocks about 6 miles wide and 10 miles long.

In the Spirit definition; “Carried beyond normal sense into a state where God could reveal supernaturally the contents of this book.” (Walvoord)

“a loud voice like a trumpet”. 
“This was calculated to call in every wandering thought, to fix his attention, and solemnize his whole frame.” (Clarke)

“I am the first and the last”.
 Isiah 44:6 "Thus says the LORD, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the LORD of hosts: 'I am the first and I am the last, And there is no God besides Me.

“Therefore write down the things you have seen.”
“We get the sense that unless John was commanded to write, he would have just kept it to himself. It’s always best to keep visions and revelations to one’s self unless commanded otherwise.” (Guzik)

Seven churches;
“It is the opinion of very learned writers upon this book, that our Lord, by these seven churches, signifies all the churches of Christ to the end of the world; and by what he saith to them, designs to show what shall be the state of churches in all ages, and what their duty is.” (Poole)

Judgement is coming
is a warning of this book and Jesus will purify the earth with fire. 
Jesus holds the keys of Death and of Hades.
The seven churches will be judged by the word of God and their works that they do for God. 


Blessings, David 

No comments:

Post a Comment