Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Exodus 4:22-26 Firstborn and circumcision!

22Then tell Pharaoh that this is what the LORD says: ‘Israel is My firstborn son, 23and I told you to let My son go so that he may worship Me. But you have refused to let him go, so I will kill your firstborn son!’”
24Now at a lodging place along the way, the LORD confronted Moses and was about to kill him. 25But Zipporah took a flint knife, cut off her son’s foreskin, and touched Moses’ feet with it. “Surely you are a bridegroom of blood to me,” she said.
26So the LORD let him alone. (When she said, “bridegroom of blood,” she was referring to the circumcision.)

Verses 22-23 gives us the reason why the Lord takes the firstborn in Egypt.

It’s a mystery why Moses failed to circumcise his son so the Lord was going to kill him for disobedience! But Zipporah rescues Moses by performing the circumcision herself!
I’m conjecturing here, this isn’t in the Bible but I’m wondering.
Could it be.... Moses was behaving like Jonah and didn’t want to go to Egypt and purposefully disobeyed the Lord?

“There can be no doubt that for some reason unrecorded Moses had failed to carry out the divine instructions concerning circumcision… Obedience completely established, everything moved forward.” (Morgan)

Have you failed to carry out any divine instructions?

Blessings, David 

No comments:

Post a Comment