Saturday, November 3, 2018

Sage Advice. Psalm 6:20-23 NLT

How many of us heard the following phrases from our parent when we were growing up and vowed NEVER to use them on our kids. Then, low and behold we were shocked when they actually came out of our mouth the first time!

"Money doesn't grow on trees you know...."

"Close the door! - were you born in a barn?"

" Because I said so."

"If __________ jumped off a bridge would you jump off a bridge?"

"Stop crying before I give you something to cry about!"

"This hurts me more than it hurts you." I later found this to be true.

"I brought you into this world and I can take you out of it!"

"Just WAIT till your father gets home!" Those words struck fear into the deepest part of my soul.

"I was not born yesterday." I changed this one to "I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday."

"There are starving people in China who would gladly eat your dinner!"

"Don't you make me pull this car over...."

Our parents had good advice too but we chose not to listen and had to learn the hard way, just like they did and their parents before them.

The one pearl of wisdom my mom use to say that I can still remember was "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." Good advice Mom.

Psalm 6:20-23 NLT
20 My son, obey your father’s commands,
and don’t neglect your mother’s instruction.
21 Keep their words always in your heart.
Tie them around your neck.
22 When you walk, their counsel will lead you.
When you sleep, they will protect you.
When you wake up, they will advise you.
23 For their command is a lamp
and their instruction a light;
their corrective discipline
is the way to life.


Blessings, Cecilia 

No comments:

Post a Comment