Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Genesis 17:15-22 God went up from him!

15Then God said to Abraham, “As for Sarai your wife, do not call her Sarai, for her name is to be Sarah. 16And I will bless her and will surely give you a son by her. I will bless her, and she will be the mother of nations; kings of peoples will descend from her.”
17Abraham fell facedown. Then he laughed and said to himself, “Can a child be born to a man who is a hundred years old? Can Sarah give birth at the age of ninety?” 18And Abraham said to God, “O that Ishmael might live under Your blessing!”
19But God replied, “Your wife Sarah will indeed bear you a son, and you are to name him Isaac. I will establish My covenant with him as an everlasting covenant for his descendants after him. 20As for Ishmael, I have heard you, and I will surely bless him; I will make him fruitful and multiply him greatly. He will become the father of twelve rulers, and I will make him into a great nation. 21But I will establish My covenant with Isaac, whom Sarah will bear to you at this time next year.”
22When He had finished talking with Abraham, God went up from him.

“Sarai signifies my lady, or my princess, which confines her dominion to one family; but Sarah signifies either a lady or princess, simply and absolutely without restriction, or the princess of a multitude.” (Poole)

Abraham laughed perhaps because he fully didn’t understand God’s Promise because he was looking at outward appearance? 
Mankind’s weakness, judging with our eyes by outward appearance. 

Abraham also was concerned for Ishmael, “O that Ishmael might live under Your blessing!”
God clarifies, ““Your wife Sarah will indeed bear you a son, and you are to name him Isaac. I will establish My covenant with him as an everlasting covenant for his descendants after him.”
But God also heard Abraham and blesses Ishmael, “I have heard you, and I will surely bless him; I will make him fruitful and multiply him greatly”.

God tells Abraham when Sarah will give birth to Issac, “21But I will establish My covenant with Isaac, whom Sarah will bear to you at this time next year.”

I love this verse, “22When He had finished talking with Abraham, God went up from him.” God went up from him!

When we have doubt about our promise, remind yourself of the Helper that is in you.  You are His adoptive child!


Blessings, David 

No comments:

Post a Comment