Saturday, March 13, 2021

I Believe. Jude 1:5

 What was it like to live in Egypt as an enslaved Hebrew? Day after day the same monotonous work. Some gathered grasses, some hauled water, some made mud, others formed bricks. The bricks had to be baked and constructed into whatever Pharaoh desired. There were hundreds of other jobs the Hebrews were forced to perform. Hour after hour, day after day, month after month, year after year, generation after generation. You would think once God had delivered them from Egypt, they would have been eternally grateful and faithfully served Him the rest of their days. 


But they didn’t. They grumbled and complained, constructed a golden calf, second guessed Gods plan of the Promised Land and refused to trust Him when He told them to go and take the land. 


So they never enjoyed the rewards God had for them. They never entered into His rest. They wandered around aimlessly for 40 years until that generation died off. 


I use to judge the Hebrew of Exodus as weak, lacking faith. After all, they saw the Red Sea part, the pillar of fire and water pouring from a rock but still doubted, still disobeyed, still rebelled. 


I’ve come to realize I’m not much different. I sometimes have doubt. I sometimes don’t trust. I sometimes lack faith and am weak. But then I remember all I’ve read. I think about all I’ve learned. I understand His love for me, His sacrifice and His grace. And I know, without a doubt, without ever having seen, that He exists. And I believe. 


Jude 1:5 But I want to remind you, though you once knew this, that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe.


Numbers 14:27-34; Hebrews 3:16-19; Hebrews 4:1-2


In His Name

No comments:

Post a Comment