Thursday, October 24, 2019

Exodus 20:5-6 Zealous for us!

5You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on their children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, 6but showing loving devotion to a thousand generations of those who love Me and keep My commandments.

“God’s jealousy is love in action. He refuses to share the human heart with any rival, not because He is selfish and wants us all for Himself, but because He knows that upon that loyalty to Him depends our very moral life… God is not jealous of us: He is jealous for us.” (Redpath)

“‘Zealous’ might be a better translation in modern English, since ‘jealousy’ has acquired an exclusively bad meaning.” (Cole)

God is “Zealous” for us! 

“‘This necessarily implies - IF the children walk in the steps of their fathers; for no man can be condemned by Divine justice for a crime of which he was never guilty.” (Clarke)

“Children who repeat the sins of their father evidence it in personally hating god; hence they too are punished like their fathers.” (Kaiser)

children walk in the steps of their fathers”
Children emulate their parents, they want to be like them, they want to be with them.
We had six children in our family. My father would be leaving and I would ask where he was going?
He would reply, crazy. 
I thought it was a place. I would ask if I could go with him. He’d reply, no. 
It wasn’t until I was older that I understood what he meant.

What type of steps did you teach your children?

Blessings, David 

No comments:

Post a Comment