Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Genesis 33:12-17 Let us be on our way!

12Then Esau said, “Let us be on our way, and I will go ahead of you.”
13But Jacob replied, “My lord knows that the children are frail, and I must care for sheep and cattle that are nursing their young. If they are driven hard for even a day, all the animals will die. 14Please let my lord go ahead of his servant. I will continue on slowly, at a comfortable pace for the livestock and children, until I come to my lord at Seir.”
15“Let me leave some of my people with you,” Esau said.
But Jacob replied, “Why do that? Let me find favor in the sight of my lord.”
16So that day Esau started on his way back to Seir, 17but Jacob went on to Succoth, where he built a house for himself and shelters for his livestock; that is why the place was called Succoth.

Why would Jacob say one thing to Esau but do another? Maybe he didn’t trust him, or he didn’t want to be too close to him? Whatever the reason, Jacob wasn’t trusting in the Lord or acting like his new name implies. (Israel)

“Yet at Succoth we read that he built booths — scarcely houses, I suppose, but more than tents. It was a compromise, and a compromise is often worse than a direct and overt disobedience of command. He dares not erect a house, but he builds a booth and thus shows his desire for a settled life.” (Spurgeon)

Succoth: a booth or hut roofed with branches.

Have you ever told someone one thing and did another, because you thought to yourself, “Let us be on our way”?


Blessings, David

No comments:

Post a Comment