Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Genesis 32:9-12 Pleading Gods goodness!

9Then Jacob declared, “O God of my father Abraham, God of my father Isaac, the LORD who told me, ‘Go back to your country and to your kindred, and I will make you prosper,’ 10I am unworthy of all the kindness and faithfulness You have shown Your servant. Indeed, with only my staff I came across the Jordan, but now I have become two camps. 11Please deliver me from the hand of my brother Esau, for I am afraid that he may come and attack me, and also the mothers and their children with me. 12But You have said, ‘I will surely make you prosper, and I will make your offspring like the sand of the sea, too numerous to count.’”

“Notice that while Jacob thus pleads his own unworthiness he is not slow to plead God’s goodness.” (Spurgeon)

“Depend upon it, it will go hard with any man who fights against a man of prayer.” (Spurgeon)

After Jacob reacted in fear he took to prayer, he laid out his unworthiness and the the Lords promises. We need to keep Gods word at our fingertips and insert them in our prayers. Not to remind the Lord of His promises but to remind us of what He May do, for His promises are for us too!

“Beloved, I say to you, one and all, study much the promises of God’s word! Have them at your fingers’ ends. Remember what things God has said to men, and when he has said them, and to what kind of men he has said them, and discover by this means how far he has said them to you.” (Spurgeon)

George Mueller, was once asked what was the most important part of prayer. He answered: “The 15 minutes after I have said, ‘Amen.’”
It’s interesting how the Lord used George Mueller and how He answered his prayers.  
“He and his best friend, Henry Craik, founded the Scriptural Knowledge Institution (SKI) in Bristol, England, with one of their prime objectives being to establish Orphan Homes for the many homeless children in Great Britain.But Mueller and Craik had no money, nor did they intend to ask anyone for it: they believed that God would provide everything they needed - without patronage, without requests for contributions and without debts. All they had to do was pray, and God would provide.”
And He did!

May we have the faith and prayers of Jacob and George!


Blessings, David 

No comments:

Post a Comment