Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Genesis 31:31-35 I was afraid!

31“I was afraid,” Jacob answered, “for I thought you would take your daughters from me by force. 32If you find your gods with anyone here, he shall not live! In the presence of our relatives, see for yourself if anything is yours, and take it back.” For Jacob did not know that Rachel had stolen the idols.
33So Laban went into Jacob’s tent, then Leah’s tent, and then the tents of the two maidservants, but he found nothing. Then he left Leah’s tent and entered Rachel’s tent. 34Now Rachel had taken Laban’s household idols, put them in the saddlebag of her camel, and was sitting on them. And Laban searched everything in the tent but found nothing.
35Rachel said to her father, “Sir, do not be angry that I cannot stand up before you; for I am having my period.” So Laban searched, but could not find the household idols.

“I was afraid,” Jacob didn’t put his trust in God.
“Jacob did not know that Rachel had stolen the idols.” Both sides of this family were full of deceit and lies. Rachel had learned from her father and it was reinforced through her husband.

“Jacob was of course entirely ignorant of Rachel’s theft, and is therefore able to assert his innocence and allow Laban to search through the tents for the lost teraphim. Rachel was a true daughter of her father and a match for him in cunning. But she little knew the trouble she was bringing on Jacob and herself by this deceit.” Griffith Thomas 

“Rachel said to her father, “Sir, do not be angry that I cannot stand up before you; for I am having my period.” So Laban searched, but could not find the household idols.” Rachel lies....
If these gods were real gods with real power wouldn’t they have bitten Rachel in the behind, cast her to the ground or given her leprosy?

Are you afraid or do you put your trust in the Lord?


Blessings, David 

No comments:

Post a Comment