Friday, September 22, 2023

Judges 8:1-3 Recognition, Jealousy and Pride!

 1Then the men of Ephraim said to Gideon, “Why have you done this to us? Why did you fail to call us when you went to fight against Midian?” And they contended with him violently.

2But Gideon answered them, “Now what have I accomplished compared to you? Are not the gleanings of Ephraim better than the grape harvest of Abiezer? 3God has delivered Oreb and Zeeb, the two princes of Midian, into your hand. What was I able to do compared to you?” When he had said this, their angera against him subsided.


Recognition, Jealousy and Pride!

“The men of Ephraim joined in the fight against Midian when Gideon called out to them (Judges 7:24-25). Yet they were upset that Gideon did not call them before the battle started. Gideon’s initial call for help went out to the tribes of Manasseh (his own tribe), Asher, Zebulun, and Naphtali (Judges 6:35).”


“The men of Ephraim seem to have cared more about recognition than the overall good of Israel. Instead of being jealous about the recognition that others received, they should have been happy that God’s people were rescued and that they had some part in the victory. Jealousy often hinders the work of God.”


What have I done now in comparison with you: Gideon did not challenge their pride; instead he soothed their pride by complimenting them and giving them the recognition they seemed to crave. Most importantly, he challenged them to get involved in the work of God that was at hand. His reply was a wise way to deal with contention when there is work for the LORD to be done.” (Guzik)


James 3:16 For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every evil practice.


2 Corinthians 12:20 For I am afraid that when I come, I may not find you as I wish, and you may not find me as you wish. I fear that there may be quarreling, jealousy, rage, rivalry, slander, gossip, arrogance, and disorder.


Proverbs 16:18 Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.


The Bible has a lot to say about jealousy and pride! And because of our sin nature these sins are hard to battle! We feel wounded and we lash out! 

One of my sins is that I’m tone deaf, that is my speech tone changes when I reply to questions! It gets me in trouble more than I can count! 

Lord help me with the sin of jealousy, pride and my speech tone. Help me respond with the love of Jesus. I lift up everyone reading this devotional today and ask for a blessing on them and their family. In the name of Jesus I pray amen.

Blessings 



No comments:

Post a Comment