Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Judges 4:8-10 Hesitation

 8Barak said to her, “If you will go with me, I will go; but if you will not go with me, I will not go.”

9“I will certainly go with you,” Deborah replied, “but the road you are taking will bring you no honor, because the LORD will be selling Sisera into the hand of a woman.” So Deborah got up and went with Barak to Kedesh, 10where he summoned Zebulun and Naphtali. Ten thousand men followed him, and Deborah also went with him.


“Barak preferred the inspiration of Deborah’s presence to the invisible but certain help of Almighty God…He is mentioned in Hebrews 11 as one of the heroes of faith; but his faith lay rather in Deborah’s influence with God than in his own. Thus he missed the crown of that great day of victory.” (Meyer)


“He is famous for his faith (Hebrews 11:32-33), and yet here he showeth some unbelief. Let us be faithful in weakness, though but weak in faith.” (Trapp)


“Nevertheless, Barak and all who went with him showed real courage and trust in God to go out against Sisera and his army. They had essentially no weapons to fight with against a technologically advanced army (having 900 chariots of iron). In addition, God led them to fight on a plain, which gave great advantage to the forces with chariots.” (Guzik)


Hesitation 

Barak was hesitant to go without Deborah and as Trapp puts it: “Let us be faithful in weakness, though but weak in faith.” Barak eventually showed real courage and trust in God.

As I age I’ve become hesitant to do some of the things that I did daily while making a living when I was younger. I think of a famous quote from a movie, “A man’s got to know his limitations”! If my father was still alive, I would ask him if he experienced the same thing about becoming hesitant when he aged? Is it a protective mechanism from the Lord? I have to prepare myself mentally because of the hesitation and I lift it up to the Lord in prayer and like Barak because the Lord is with me I find the courage to do the things I was hesitant to do. 


“Let us be faithful in weakness, though but weak in faith.”

Could it be that the Lord is using my hesitation to draw me closer to Him?

Blessings 



No comments:

Post a Comment