Saturday, August 5, 2023

Judges 4:1-3 Drifting

 1After Ehud died, the Israelites again did evil in the sight of the LORD. 2So the LORD sold them into the hand of Jabin king of Canaan, who reigned in Hazor. The commander of his forces was Sisera, who lived in Harosheth-hagoyim. 3Then the Israelites cried out to the LORD, because Jabin had nine hundred chariots of iron, and he had harshly oppressed the Israelites for twenty years.


“Seeing the continual drift to disobedience makes one less and less confident of man but more and more impressed with the mercy and grace of God. Though Israel kept forsaking Him, He kept working with them.” (Guzik)


I would add, He does that with us too! Life is hard and with our sinful nature we drift away from the Lord. Paul said it best:

Romans 7: 18I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my flesh; for I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19For I do not do the good I want to do. Instead, I keep on doing the evil I do not want to do. 20And if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.


“The sedentary life is most subject to diseases: standing waters soon putrify. It is hard and happy not to grow worse with liberty.” (Trapp)


God used a different oppressor, Jabin king of Canaan on the Israelites this time! But notice, it took them twenty years before they cried out to the Lord!


Just like the Israelites we are drifting away from the Lord, please pray for a revival in our country!

Blessings 



No comments:

Post a Comment