Thursday, June 20, 2019

Genesis 50:1-6 Go up and bury your father!

1Then Joseph fell upon his father’s face, wept over him, and kissed him.
2And Joseph directed the physicians in his service to embalm his father Israel. So they embalmed him, 3taking the forty days required to complete the embalming. And the Egyptians mourned for him seventy days.
4When the days of mourning had passed, Joseph said to Pharaoh’s court, “If I have found favor in your eyes, please tell Pharaoh that 5my father made me swear an oath when he said, ‘I am about to die. You must bury me in the tomb that I dug for myself in the land of Canaan.’ Now let me go and bury my father, and then return.”
6Pharaoh replied, “Go up and bury your father, as he made you swear to do.”

Joseph must have been deeply respected among the Pharaoh’s court. 
70 days of mourning, showing grief over Jacobs death! He was embalmed, which was normally reserved for Pharaohs. 
Imagine if Jacob existed in our day in our country and Joseph was the presidents adviser and saved the United States from seven years of famine.
The president would have ordered federal buildings to fly the flags at half mast, and would have had a funeral service for Jacob. He would have allowed Jacob’s casket to be placed in the Rotunda for viewing which is normally reserved for presidents.

Pharaoh replied, “Go up and bury your father, as he made you swear to do.”

Death is hard on everyone involved.
Have you prepared for your death?

Blessings, David 

No comments:

Post a Comment