Thursday, May 30, 2019

Genesis 47:27-31 Swear to me.

27Thus the Israelites settled in the land of Egypt, in the region of Goshen. They acquired property there and became fruitful and increased greatly in number. 28And Jacob lived in the land of Egypt seventeen years, and the length of his life was 147 years.
29When the time drew near for Israel to die, he called his son Joseph and said, “If I have found favor in your eyes, put your hand under my thigh and promise me that you will show me kindness and faithfulness. Do not bury me in Egypt, 30but when I lie down with my fathers, carry me out of Egypt and bury me with them.”
Joseph answered, “I will do as you have requested.”
31“Swear to me,” Jacob said.
So Joseph swore to him, and Israel bowed in worship at the head of his bed.

“They acquired property there and became fruitful and increased greatly in number.”
Jacob’s family of 70 grew to over a hundred in fifty years and with a calculated growth rate of 6% grew to several million by the time of Exodus in 430 years later.

Jacob’s lifespan was 147 years! 
He knew Egypt wasn’t his home and wanted to be buried with his fathers.
“Swear to me,”
“The truly good man will never need to take an oath; the truth of his sayings and the reality of his promises need no such guarantee. But the fact that oaths are still sometimes necessary is the proof that men are not good men and that this is not a good world.” (Barclay)
Joseph was a good man and he will keep his word.

Do we keep ours?

Blessings, David 

No comments:

Post a Comment