Thursday, November 9, 2023

Judges 12:2-3 Quarreling!

 2But Jephthah replied, “My people and I had a serious conflict with the Ammonites, and when I called, you did not save me out of their hands. 3When I saw that you would not save me, I risked my life and crossed over to the Ammonites, and the LORD delivered them into my hand. Why then have you come today to fight against me?”


“Jephthah’s idea was clear. God won a great victory through him when the Ephraimites stood by, though they had the opportunity to help. In this he pointed out the essentially unjust character of their complaint.” (Guzik)


“The people of Ephraim here seem to be simply chronic complainers. When they had a chance to step out boldly for God they did not do it. Yet when the work was done and God was glorified, they complained that they didn’t get to participate.” (Guzik)


“The fact that a victory had been gained over their common enemy appears to have been overlooked. Accusation and counter-accusation followed in bewildering succession; the claim that they had been passed over was met by the charge that an appeal had been made to them to which they had not responded.” (Cundall)


Quarreling between siblings in a large household in its basic form is no different when jealousy sets in. I grew up in a large family and we would get into quarreling once in awhile and it was usually due to not respecting someone’s belongings or space.

I wonder if one of my sisters descended from the tribe of Ephraim? 


Can you imagine what it was like growing up in a family with Jesus? I wonder if His mother ever said, stop it you two! Why can’t you be more like your brother, Jesus!

Blessings 


https://www.gotquestions.org/Ephraim-in-the-Bible.html




No comments:

Post a Comment