Monday, August 1, 2022

Deuteronomy 22:6-7 Bird’s Nest

 6“If you happen to come upon a bird’s nest along the road, in any tree or on the ground, with young ones or eggs, and the mother [bird] is sitting on the young or on the eggs, you shall not take the mother with the young. 7You shall certainly let the mother go, but you may take the young for yourself, so that it may be well with you and that you may prolong your days.


Spring was in the air and I unwrapped burlap from an evergreen that marks the gravesite of our sons dog. It survived the winter and looked healthy. Within weeks I noticed one side was turning brown. Upon checking the health of the tree I found a birds nest with 5 small blue eggs. I left it alone but the next day I saw the nest on the ground and the eggs were gone. So I trimmed the tree.


Then while filling the woodshed a robin built a nest and I noticed she already started laying eggs. I had to wait weeks until the nestlings flew off, so I resumed filling the woodshed again. The robin returned and started building a nest again. I removed it and then she built a nest in a nearby tree.


These verses may seem to be a strange request from the Lord but we need to study them in context. Some birds were used by the poor for sacrifice and food.

I pray “that it may be well with you (me) and that you (I) may prolong your (my) days.”


What about you?

Blessings 




No comments:

Post a Comment