Friday, October 5, 2018

Only Joy. 2 Timothy 1:1-4 NLT

"The Bible doesn’t tell us the details, but it seems that after Paul was released from the Roman imprisonment mentioned at the end of the book of Acts, he enjoyed a few more years of liberty until he was re-arrested and imprisoned in Rome again. 

One can go to Rome today and see the place where they say Paul was imprisoned. It is really just a cold dungeon, a cave in the ground, with bare walls and a little hole in the ceiling where food was dropped down. There were no windows; it was just a cold, little cell that would have been especially uncomfortable in winter. 

Paul wrote this letter from his second Roman imprisonment, and soon after he wrote this letter he was condemned and executed in Rome at the command of Nero. Paul sensed this; therefore 2 Timothy is not only the last letter we have from Paul, there is also a note of urgency and passion we might expect from a man who knew he would soon be executed." David Guzik

I actually felt sad reading this commentary and the verses it referenced. Paul knew his work on earth was done. He knew this life was coming to an end. He knew the pain of dying that lay before him. 

Yet, he also knew the joy that awaited. 

Death doesn't scare me, it's the dying part I don't look forward too. Once dying is behind me, only joy lay ahead. 

2Timothy 1:1-4 NLT

Greetings from Paul 

1 This letter is from Paul, chosen by the will of God to be an apostle of Christ Jesus. I have been sent out to tell others about the life he has promised through faith in Christ Jesus. 

2 I am writing to Timothy, my dear son. 
May God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord give you grace, mercy, and peace. 

Encouragement to Be Faithful 

3 Timothy, I thank God for you—the God I serve with a clear conscience, just as my ancestors did. Night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers. 4 I long to see you again, for I remember your tears as we parted. And I will be filled with joy when we are together again. 


Blessings, Cecilia

No comments:

Post a Comment